What is the Contact Preference Register?
Under the Birth Information and Tracing Act 2022, a Contact Preference Register has been established and this is now open for applications. This new Contact Preference Register replaces the previous National Adoption Contact Preference Register( NACPR) and all data from the NACPR has now been transferred over. Contact preference options have also been updated in line with the new legislation.
Who can register on the Contact Preference Register?
The new Contact Preference Register will enable the following people to register their preference in relation to contact with each other:
- adopted persons,
- those whose birth was illegally registered,
- those who were resident in an institution,
- those who were placed in a care arrangement,
- a parent of one of the above persons (or a person who believes themselves to be a parent)
- a relative of one of the above persons (or a person who believes themselves to be a relative)
- where the parent of one of the above persons is deceased, a friend of that parent who has information to share.
- next of kin of one of the above persons where that person is now deceased,
- a person who provided care to a child in a care arrangement,
- a person who was a relevant guardian of an adopted person.
Importantly, it will allow parents to register a no contact preference prior to their information being released as part of a person’s birth and early life information. This ensures that the parent’s right to privacy and wish for privacy will be communicated when releasing their information.
It is important to be aware that information will always be released, even where a ‘no contact’ preference has been registered. If you are eligible to register a preference, it’s important to do so before the Information Service opens for applications in October, 2022. While preferences can still be registered after that, only preferences recorded on the register at the time of an application for information will be released with the associated birth information.
How can I register or update my details?
To register your details on the Contact Preference Register, click on the relevant link below and fill out an application form. Submit the form online and make sure to upload a copy of photographic identification (passport, driving licence or Garda age card). Once received, the Adoption Authority will begin processing your application.
If you previously joined the National Adoption Contact Preference Register (NACPR) and are looking to update your contact details or preferences, you will now need to submit a new application to the new Contact Preference Register.
An information leaflet has been prepared to tell you about the Contact Preference Register (CPR) and its functions. You can read or download this information leaflet below.